About .nz Domains
Domain Name Commission is the sponsor and Key Systems is our backend provider for the country-code top-level domain name (ccTLD) .nz extension that represents New Zealand.
Who can register .nz domains?
Anyone can register .co.nz, .net.nz, .org.nz domain names.
- .nz: Not supported.
- .co.nz: Intended for commercial entities.
- .net.nz: Intended for network infrastructures, such as Internet Service Providers.
- .org.nz: Intended for non-profit organizations.
When registering a .nz domain, you must follow specific requirements.
- Must use: 3 - 63 characters
- Can use: Letters (a-z characters), numbers (0-9) and hyphens (except in the 1st or last characters of the domain name)
- Cannot use: Special Characters (e.g.,& and #)
- IDNs: Not supported
- Registration length: 1-10 years
- Renewal length: 1-10 years
- You can renew .co.nz, .net.nz, and .org.nz domain name renews before its expiration date. The renewal date depends on whether the domain name is auto-renewed or renewed manually. Auto-renewal is attempted 20 days prior to the domain name's expiration. If the renewal attempt fails, we re-attempt renewal 13 days prior to expiration. If the second attempt fails, we try one more time 6 days prior to the expiration date.
- If we cannot auto-renew the domain name and you do not manually renew it 6 days prior to the expiration date, it must be redeemed. There might be a fee for the redemption. See Renew my expired domain for instructions on the redemption.
- For example: Your .co.nz, .net.nz, and .org.nz domain name expires on January 31. If your domain name does not renew automatically, you can renew it manually by January 25. For automatic renewals, we attempt to renew the domain name on January 11, January 18, and January 25.
- Backorders: Not supported
- Transfers to GoDaddy: Supported
- Must Use: 2 - 63 Characters
- When your .nz domains transfer in to GoDaddy, the registration year does not extend.
- Transfers away from GoDaddy: Supported
- Transfers to another GoDaddy account: Supported
- When you move the domain name, the registrant's first name, last name, and company name cannot be changed.
- Basic privacy protection: Not supported
- DNC .NZ does offer privacy for Individual registrants. If your domain is registered as an Individual, please contact our GoDaddy Guides for assistance.
- Protection plan upgrades: Not supported
- CashParking: Not supported
- Contact updates: Supported
- To update the domain's contact information, please contact our GoDaddy Guides.
- Must use: 2-4 Nameservers
- Can use: IPv4
- Cannot use: IPv6, DNSSEC
For details on refunds, see our refund policy. Most domains will follow the Standard Refund Terms, but certain domains may have exceptions or may not be refundable at all. Review the information under Products with Special Refund Terms, and then Domain Name Registrations/Renewals and Products Not Eligible for Refunds.
To cancel your .co.nz domain, contact our GoDaddy Guides for assistance.