Import my WordPress pages, posts, and media settings
WordPress has built-in functionality that allows you to import pages, posts, and media settings previously exported from another website. This can be helpful when moving your website to another server or when you want to transfer your posts or pages.
Note: This method of importing WordPress content doesn't include files like plugins and themes, so they have to be transferred with FTP or File Manager.
- Sign in to WordPress.
- On the left-side menu, select Tools and then Import.
- Under WordPress, select Install Now.
- After the installation is complete, under WordPress, select Run Importer.
- Select Choose File to find and select the WXR (.xml) file you want to upload from your local computer, and then select Upload file and import.
Note: If you're getting an error because you're trying to import a large file, you should increase
post_max_sizeon your server to a value higher than the size of the file you're trying to import.
- (Optional) Assign the imported content to a new or existing WordPress user.
- Assign to a new user: Enter a new username in the text box. This user will have an automatically generated password and a subscriber role. After that, you must change the user’s password and role from your WordPress dashboard.
- Assign to an existing user: Select an existing user from the dropdown list.
- (Optional) Select Download and import file attachments to download file attachments, like images or PDF files, to the Media library on your new site. You can use this option only if the files are still reachable on their original URL and if the URL uses the same domain name as the exported site. Otherwise, you'll have to transfer your file attachments using FTP or File Manager.
- Select Submit.
An All done. Have fun! message will confirm your import has completed successfully.